EVEN BEFORE HARRISON WAS BORN, J and I were pretty content keeping our weekend nights lowkey with a simple home-cooked dinner or movie night in. With the help of our new American Express Blue Cash Everyday card, we gathered the supplies for a delicious DIY recipe for movie night treats: salted caramel popcorn donuts AND received 3% cash back for using the card at our supermarket!
Using this recipe video from Buzzfeed Tasty, I rounded up the ingredients including my own toppings of fruit, Nutella, Butterfinger crumbles, and Oreos, but you can use whatever toppings you like! Our movie choice of the night was the Harrison-approved The Peanuts Movie.
SALTED CARAMEL POPCORN “DONUTS” RECIPE
Servings: 6 “Donuts”
8 cups popped salted popped popcorn
1 cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup of light corn syrup
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ stick) cut into pieces
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Coat a large heatproof bowl with butter, vegetable oil, or cooking spray, place popcorn in the bowl.
2. Place sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Place over high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook, adding vinegar until mixture registers 260°F on candy/fat thermometer, about 5 to 7 minutes (should be barely tan color).
3. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until melted and smooth.
4. Immediately drizzle sugar mixture over popcorn and stir continuously with a rubber heatproof spatula.
5. When popcorn and sugar mixture is cool to touch, form individual portions into a donut shape.
6. Decorate according to taste with melted chocolate, sprinkles, crushed peanuts, and more!
7. Place decorated popcorn “donuts” on a drying rack.
DISCLAIMER: I teamed up with Amex as an ambassador for Blue Cash Everyday.